Monday, October 31, 2011

Brayered Embossed Backgrounds

Continuing with the Croptoberfest Challenges over at PaperArtistsOnline, I made a set of three similar cards, challenging myself to use a brayer and embossing folder to get different looks with each one. For the first one, I brayered Ripe Persimmon Distress Ink over the embossed image after running it through the Cuttlebug. This results in a Letterpress look which I really like.


For the next one, I brayered the Ripe Persimmon Distress Ink over the embossing folder before running it through the Cuttlebug. I call this a Letterpress effect but I'm not sure I'm correct. Is it the positive or the negative? Whatever. I like it.

For the last one, I glued strips of contrasting cardstock to the panel before running it through the Cuttlebug. The photo may not illustrate it very well other than the word Blessings, but there are also strips on the words November and Autumn. After embossing, I also ran a brayer over the image with Ripe Persimmon Distress Ink.
Supplies Used:
All Cardstock from Club Scrap
Henna card base
Cruising black panel
Apothecary or Gramma’s Attic embossed panel
Flowers from Comfort Zone unmounteds
Rosette made from Wordsworth Tangerine Wash paper
Bling brad from my stash
Ranger Distress inks used on flower images
Tim Holtz Sizzix Thankful Background embossing folder
Thanks for looking. Which one is your favorite technique?

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Club Scrap October Sketch Relay


This layout was created for Club Scrap's October Sketch Relay Challenge and features my niece Lexi at a basketball game I was lucky enough to attend.

Supplies used:
Club Scrap Scholarship cardstock
Basketball embellishment cut on Silhouette Digital cutter
Karen Foster Basketball stickers
Journaling computer generated
Sketch used: Steppin' Out sketch - November 2004

Double Take Sketches

I recently participated in an online class called Double Take at Big Picture Classes along with my friend and fellow Squirrely Girl Nancy. The class started before my trip to Kentucky but I wasn’t really able to participate until it was completely over and I had returned to my scrap cave. These first two layouts were created with the Double Take sketches. As always, I was multi-tasking and made them to suit some other challenges at PaperArtistsOnline.
This first one is from Week One, Sketch 1. It covers a recent visit to Lancaster, Ky, where I spent my first summer out of high school volunteering for three months with the Christian Appalachian Project. I was a tender eighteen year old and stopping by this place where I spent so much time was a touching experience for me. So much had changed and yet so little. It's a small town of 4,000 now so it was probably a lot smaller in 1972.
Supplies used:
Cardstock: DCWV from Mariposa and Immortal Love stacks
Flower cut with Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die on Cuttlebug
Tape strips from Heidi Swapp
Butterfly border strip from Martha Stewart Punch
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist Garden Fairy
Button from Eddie Bauer
Doily and twine from Michaels
Computer generated journaling
CAP title is Ranger Distress Ink over a sticker which is then removed
This second layout is about visiting the levee in Newport, Ky, where I grew up and taking in the view of majestic Cincinnati across the river. My sister Chrissie and I are pointing at the buildings where we work/worked (I left in 1974).
So with the PAO Croptoberfest Challenges, I have been inspired to get out my sprays which I love collecting but rarely use. On this one I went crazy by spraying just about everything in sight. The page on the left was yellow American Crafts cardstock when I started. Love that Orange Juice. There wasn't a cloud in the sky that day but I added a few to fit the challenge on PAO. I think it works.
Supplies used:
Cardstock: American Crafts yellow, Wordsworth Tangerine Wash patterned paper
Cloud shapes and letter circles cut on Silhouette digital cutter; inked with Weathered Wood Distress Ink
Memories Mist Orange Juice used on white cardstock along with Spiced Marmalade Distress Ink
Computer generated journaling