Saturday, April 13, 2013

Beverly Hills Supper Club Fire Museum


The Beverly Hills Supper Club on Route 27 in Southgate, Kentucky, was one of the most luxurious venues of its time. On May 28, 1977, there was a terrible fire resulting in the deaths of 165 people. In my youth, this place loomed large in my history. It was THE place to go for a big night out. Gambling was never legal there but it did flourish for several years. I, personally, only attended one event there, a wedding in 1974. It was, much to my dismay, the one night of my life that I drank and drove. I was young and never did THAT ago. 

But it was a sight to behold up on the hill with that long sweeping driveway. I'm sure I passed it thousands of times during my youth. I actually didn't live in the area at the time of the fire but I was interested in visiting the Museum on my last visit home. Since it was an elegant musical showcase featuring stars such as Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Liberace, Steve Martin and Eydie Gorme, I figured this layout would work into Julie's Music to My Ears challenge over at Club Scrap. And, of course, I used Club Scrap's All That Jazz paper for it. The sketch is another one from Double Take, the two year old class I am still struggling to finish. Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment